Do the Tough Things Right
How to prevent communication disasters in family business
Are you having a hard time starting the conversations about who gets the family business and when? This book is designed to help you nail down the key challenges you need to talk about. It’s a workbook style to prompt you to address your tough issues like fairness, financial transparency, and family fights.
You can use this book to write your responses to the tough questions certified coach Elaine Froese asks. Her expertise in solving the people communication problems for family business, particularly farm families, will help you avoid the mistakes that others typically make.
Elaine’s niche is agriculture, but other family businesses will also find her tools applicable to their sector.
Here’s the Table of Contents:
- Face the Bull
- Key Challenges Audit Sheet
- 60 Questions for a Farm Transfer
- Ten Vital Family Plans for Your Business
Chapter 1 – FAIRNESS
- What is Fair DNA Pay?
- How Do You Put a Value on Sweat?
- Salaried Success Keeps Farm Heirs Happier
- Boomerangers Bring Useful Skills Back Home
- Kids as Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Letting Go of Your Farm House
- Who Gets Grandpa’s Tools?
Chapter 2 – FINANCES
- Worksheet 1: Business Qualities Checklist
- Worksheet 2: Family Needs & Preferences
- What Does Money Mean to You?
- How Much Does Your Lifestyle Cost?
- Lifestyle Dollar Pressures on Farm Women
- Make Sure the Farm Takes Care of Mom
- Hidden in Plain Sight
- Gleanings on Farm Succession
Chapter 3 – FAMILY FIGHT DYNAMICS
- Communication Self-Assessment Exercise
- There’s Help to Resolve Conflicts on Your Farm
- Picking Fights you Can Win
- Meet to Make Things Happen
- Family Business Codes of Conduct
- Talkers Make More Money
- Why Should I Be a Better Listener?
- Pay Attention to the Silence
- Why is Grandma a Bully?
- Why Fathers Need to Be Good Leaders?
- Surviving or Thriving
- Lessons from the Combine
- Happy Harvest Starts With Forgiveness
Chapter 4 – FAMILY RESPECT AND FORGIVENESS
- Treat People With Integrity
- What Your Daughter-in-Law Needs
- Respect for Homemaking
- Being Thankful for Respect
- The Gift of Consideration
Chapter 5 – FARM ESTATE ISSUES
- Enlighten Your Team of Advisors
- Where There is a Will There is a Way
- Leave a How-To Manual
- Is Your Funeral Planned?
- Final Gifts for Mom
- Widow to Widow
Chapter 6 – FULFILLMENT
- Family Vision Questions
- Reluctant Farmer
- Your New Role – Hired Man
- Are You Making Emotional Decisions?
- How to Step Down But Not Out
- Ten Things Young Farmers Want
- Keep Away From Dream Stealers
- No More Stinking Thinking
- A Year of Courage
- Be a Life Long Learner
- How’s Your Peer Network?
- Living a Full Life With Your Farmer
- Will You Still Need Me?
Chapter 7 – FAILURE
- Breaking Up is Hard To Do
- No Talk, No Plan, No Succession
- Why Won’t Dad Talk?
- Managing Stubborn Farmers
- Be the CEO of your Farm…Focus and Execute
- Gifts With Strings Attached
- Don’t Split the Farm Yard
- Freeloading on the Farm
- Sadness on the Sod
Chapter 8 – FEELING GOOD
- Planting the Seed of Hope Again
- Four Keys to Balanced Living
- Men Get Help With Stress
- Are You Getting Enough Sleep?
- Eight Ways Dads and Sons Can Care For One Another
- Counselling is About Recovery
- Make a Nurture Call
- You Can’t Commend What You Do Not Cherish